Thursday 6 September 2012

Finding a Job

Finding a job is a strange, bizarre, weird process. (Yes I did just use three synonyms in a row).

Well, for me at least.

I began my job search as soon as my 'A' levels had finished, taking about a month's break in order to take a part in a play at my local theatre and also due to some personal issues. 

I heard back from 3 institutes, resulting in 1 failed interview. This is out of at least 100 applications, that had been carefully crafted and selected from over 300 job listings. 

Then suddenly, during the run of the play, I get chatting to one of theatre friends, who puts me on to a position within the theatre itself, as a classroom assistant in their weekend youth theatre classes for ages 5-17. I was aware of the position, but assumed it to still be voluntary, but she corrected me. However, we both believed the position would already be filled as it was less than a month until classes started.

Boy was I wrong. After a few rounds of email tennis, a quick chat about what the job entails and the sending of the relevant information, I've got myself the job. Sure, it's not perfect, it's only around ten hours a week...but it's a start. And for now, at least I can say I am officially employed for the first time in my life. 

As I was having the "chat" (as opposed to a formal interview), I felt like I was being party to some form of strange nepotism, where the people involved aren't related, but have been in loco parentis for you for many years (I've been a part of this theatre since I was 10...), but when I was talking to my boyfriend about it later, he pointed out it was quite the opposite. I've been interviewing for the job for the last 8 years of my life. Everything I've ever said to them, everything I've ever done in front of them has impressed them enough to want to employ me without the relevant qualifications or work experience. Which was quite the confidence boost, really. :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment